In the dessert world, October means pumpkin. So to embrace the translation, pumpkin muffins are in order. Basically any dessert can be made better with a little pumpkin kick added; so why not add it to muffins! This treat will get your sweet tooth excited, with or without the vanilla glaze on top. (Pumpkin) Spice up your morning by having one for breakfast, or finish off your dinner with a spooky movie and a sugary delight. These muffins are guaranteed to provide the full fall feeling, including taste and smell. Moist on the inside, crumbly on the outside, pumpkin crumb muffins will give you a world full of different flavors and textures. So instead of rushing in the morning to get your Dunkin or Starbucks pumpkin muffins, save time and make them yourself! I promise you, they are just as good and half the money. Celebrate the fall and the extra dollars you will have in your wallet by making this amazing recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 15 oz. can of pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Dash of vanilla
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 muffin pan with liners.
2. In a medium bowl, blend together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
3. Add in the pumpkin, egg, canola oil, applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
4. Fill each muffin liner 3⁄4 of the way full.
5. Now, prepare your streusel. Combine sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl. Add in melted butter and then add flour in batches – working the mixture with your handsuntil all is incorporated. The streusel should be crumbly.
6. Add streusel evenly over unbaked muffins.
7. Bake for 23 – 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Allow muffins to cool completely.
9. To prepare the glaze: beat softened cream cheese with confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Add milk, one Tbsp at a time, until the right consistency is achieved.
10. Using a spoon, drizzle evenly over cooled muffins.
11. Refrigerate to retain freshness if not serving right away